Constant WebSocket connection handshake error with apache server

Hi,

I have an OVH server running under Unbuntu 20.04 LTS with Webmin and Virtualmin installed.
I´m trying to have a Jitsi server available as meet.MyDomain.net.
meet.MyDomain.net has been configured as a Virtualmin Sub Virtual Server of MyDomain.net (which is the main one).
meet.MyDomain.net has a dedicated IP address and DNS record.
It has SSL enabled and I can access the Jitsi meet home page and start a meeting.
When a second participant joins on the java console of the host browser I get:
WebSocket Error during WebSocket handshake: Unexpected response code: 404 issues
followed by:
[modules/RTC/BridgeChannel.js] <WebSocket.e.onclose>: Channel closed: 1006
Depending of the participant client the video and audio may work but blinks and resets.
When using Safari (Ipad) the video does not even start.
When a third participant joins then the video and audio is no longer available for the other two and when the third one leaves the meeting the other one are disconnected with the famous disconnection error message been displayed.
The prosody.err is clean.
I don’t have error messages in prosody.log.
I only get INFO messages in jvb.log, same for jicofo.log. This is why I believe my problem is more on the site configuration file for the apache server.
I have spend an awful amount of time googling for a solution but most of servers are based on nginx, which I understand makes more sense, but in my case I need to use apache for other activities provided by the server.
I will be most grateful if somebody could share a 100% tested and working apache site configuration file.
At the moment I’m using this one from the jitsi github.

Thanks in advance for your help and support!

By the way, I forgot to mention I also tried this one:

https://community.jitsi.org/t/colibri-ws-websocket-not-working/88117/8

Most probably webmin prevents JVB to use UDP/10000

Hi Emrah,

Thank you for your input.
I forgot to mention that I have changed the defaults port configuration for webmin and usermin so they no longer use ports 10000 and 20000.

Do you have something like this in your apache config jitsi-meet/jitsi-meet.example at 63f0166f7526b71e3375a9bbf058fa8247480118 · jitsi/jitsi-meet · GitHub

Hello Damian,

No, at the moment I only have the “default” recomended apache configuration.
Should I try this one, or just the block for colibri?

Thanks for you input!

You need to add the colibri one, if it works a PR is very welcome to add it to the default apache config.

Ok, let me try…

Aaaaarch ! I should shoot myself :tired_face: :cry:!
I could not understand why few weeks ago it was working on a fresh empty server I then realised I forgot to verify the JDK package. The version I had was 14 instead of 8!

I used:

sudo apt install openjdk-8-jdk
sudo update-alternatives --config java

To change to version 8 and

java -version

To confirm.
Rebooted and everything seems to work with no errors in the browser console :smiley:!
Apologies for my own stupidity :pleading_face: