Config.js has no effect on selfhost using docker

I am self hosting jitsi with docker. With this a folder “.jitsi-meet-cfg” is created. Now I am trying to change my config.js file located inside /web/ but it seems to have no effect. For example:

startAudioMuted: 0,
startWithAudioMuted: true,
startVideoMuted: 0,
startWithVideoMuted: true,

And I am also changing interface_config.js file such as

SHOW_JITSI_WATERMARK: false,

But none of these options work. I am hosting it locally using Docker. What am I missing?

config.js and interface-config.js files are recreated on each container restart so not much to do there. Most of these settings are available to be modified via environment variables, you can check these in docker-compose.yml file in docker repository. It does depend on how you inject environment variables to the container (if you customized docker-compose.yml, make sure you pass those variables to the web container).

As for the interface_config.js, unfortunately I don’t think you can modify it via environment variables, however the docs mention the option to create files custom-config.js and custom-interface_config.js and they will override whatever is set in the original config.js and interface_config.js. You can check the docs here.

Someone mentioned that I need to clone GitHub - jitsi/jitsi-meet: Jitsi Meet - Secure, Simple and Scalable Video Conferences that you use as a standalone app or embed in your web application. and put that inside my docker folder for jitsi. And then I can manually change the logo for watermark etc. Does this work?

While it would technically work, it is not necessary and I really don’t recommend it. The docker image would have to be heavily modified to allow building jitsi from source and it’s not worth it since you can change those things in the interface config.