Can't connect out of cluster Jibri to Dockerized Jitsi Meet

Hello guys!

So, I have the Docker version of Jitsi Meet running on a k8s cluster, I’ll need it to host lots of video conferences and those video conferences need to be recorded by Jibri.

I created a Nginx Ingress that makes Jitsi Meet accessible at e.g. https://myjitsi.com. It has jitsi-service as target and run on port 80. It works fine.

My problem is: I can’t figure out how to make an out of cluster Jibri, running on a VM, to work with this jitsi k8s environment. I keep getting connection refused to meet.jitsi:5222.

Logs:

2020-05-15 15:12:11.018 FATAL: [21] org.jitsi.xmpp.mucclient.MucClientManager.log() Failed to initialize and start a MucClient: 
org.jivesoftware.smack.SmackException$ConnectionException: The following addresses failed: 'meet.jitsi:5222' failed because: meet.jitsi/172.16.12.57 exception: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused (Connect    2020-05-15 15:12:11.018 FATAL: [21] org.jitsi.xmpp.mucclient.MucClientManager.log() Failed to initialize and start a MucClient: 
org.jivesoftware.smack.SmackException$ConnectionException: The following addresses failed: 'meet.jitsi:5222' failed because: meet.jitsi/172.16.12.50 exception: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused

What I’ve tried so far: I’ve saw that there is a lot of internal domains like “meet.jitsi” or “auth.meet.jitsi” that resolves to the right servers and etc. I’ve left those intact and created a Ingress with the DNS “meet.jitsi” with “jitsi-prosody” service as target and running on port 5222, aiming to make it possible for the VM to access prosody. I’ve also created the meet.jitsi DNS into my VM /etc/hosts pointing to the k8s node IP. I’m able to ping and curl meet.jitsi from the VM but i keep getting connection refused.

My questions:
1 - Is port 5222 hard coded? I believe i shoud connect at meet.jitsi:80 because it targets to prosody service at port 5222, but if i change “xmpp_server_hosts” config to “meet.jitsi:80” it tries to connect to meet.jitsi:80:5222 is there a way i can change it?

2- If i can’t change it, how can i manage to achieve this connection?

Ps: I’m really new at k8s and don’t have much network knowledgement.

1 Like

I am facing the same problem too, searched a lot, but i didn’t found a way to do this.
Please share if you find a solution.

1 Like

Still working on this, if i make any progress i’ll let you know.