Cannot install Ubuntu 18.04 installation broken

I cannot install Jitsi on ubuntu 18.04.
I’ve been following:

and when I get to the step:

• sudo apt update
  • sudo apt install jitsi-meet
    I get the following error messages:
    Setting up jitsi-meet-prosody (1.0.4139-1) …
    The given hostname does not exist in the config
    dpkg: error processing package jitsi-meet-prosody (–configure):
    installed jitsi-meet-prosody package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of jitsi-meet:
    jitsi-meet depends on jitsi-meet-prosody (= 1.0.4139-1); however:
    Package jitsi-meet-prosody is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package jitsi-meet (–configure):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of jitsi-meet-turnserver:
jitsi-meet-turnserver depends on jitsi-meet-prosody; however:
Package jitsi-meet-prosody is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package jitsi-meet-turnserver (–configure):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
No apport report written because the error message indicates its a followup error from a previous failure.
No apport report written because the error message indicates its a followup error from a previous failure.
Errors were encountered while processing:
jitsi-meet-prosody
jitsi-meet
jitsi-meet-turnserver
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

I’ve set up my /etc/hosts file:
127.0.0.1 localhost mydomainforjitsu local localhost.localdomain

Any ideas welcome. It appears the installation for jitsi is broken for Ubuntu 18.04
Thanks

1 Like

You probably are missing the “Universe” repo in Ubuntu. Checkout the Quick install guide, it mentions this : https://jitsi.org/qi

1 Like

It’s not the missing repository. The problem is that jitsi-meet-prosody requires prosody (>= 0.11.0), but the bionic repository is stuck on prosody 0.10.0-1build1 (source), so it’s impossible to install or upgrade jitsi meet on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.

In fact, if I try to upgrade jitsi right now, apt will actually try to uninstall the jitsi-meet package and a bunch of other stuff (including jitsi-meet-prosody and prosody), because it can’t satisfy the dependency on prosody.

Have you checked Self-Hosting Guide - Debian/Ubuntu server · Jitsi Meet Handbook there are instructions how to update prosody.
The only thing you need to make sure storage=none is replaced with storage=memory in prosody configs after updating prosody

Oh right, I had totally missed that requirement. It wasn’t there back when I had installed Jitsi, and I hadn’t updated it in a while.

After troubleshooting some other issues, I now seem to be stuck on the “Obtaining session-id” problem.

Firefox console log:

2021-12-26T04:28:39.821Z [features/authentication] <7012/_onLogin/</<>:  authenticateAndUpgradeRole failed 
Object { authenticationError: "not-authorized", message: "not authorized user domain" }

I’m definitely sure that my credentials are correct (they’re saved in a password manager and they haven’t been changed).

I’ve tried following all the suggestions in:

(I hope I haven’t missed anything crucial in there either :/)

If this is a secure domain setup, you may try to switch to internal_hashed as the authentication method and recreate the accounts.

You may also need to delete old user accounts in /var/lib/prosody. Don’t delete service accounts