Cannot get Jitsi to work through Tor

I want to run Jitsi in my browser Tor, but I can never get it to work. It says that the browser prevents access to my camera and microphone, even if i have changed the settings to allow camera and microphone. I even tried the “standard” settings, ie the least secure Tor settings, but it still won’t work. Could someone help me get Jitsi to work through Tor? I saw online that others get Jitsi to work through Tor, so I assume that it is possible. However, I am no developer so I cannot even understand how to set up a Tor bridge or other advanced settings. Also, I need to be able to share the screen (without compromising the security).

Please do not reply and say “download Jitsi” because I need to run it through Tor for opsec reasons. Let’s say that there will be Jitsi meetings with activists who are wanted under the national security law in Hong Kong, so I don’t want to leave a trace in terms of IP -number, location etc.

Tor does not support WebRTC.

What would your advice to me be? If I need to be able to have a conference call, with possibility to share screen without leaving any trace of location or IP-number? And the meeting is with people under high target gov surveillance? I don’t trust VPN considering the fact that you just change your location, but your search history is still tied up to “one profile”. Each time I exit Tor, there will be a new “me” online, so no issues with tying my search history together. However, with VPN, they still create a profile on you and can identify you that way.

in other words, conference call with no leak of metadata.

WebRTC runs using IP addresses, so it’s tough to completely obliterate ‘leaks’ if you’re running on the public instance of Jitsi at meet.jit.si. VPNs will probably downscale your streams anyway, but that may not be as much of a problem if you still get sufficient bandwidth.

You can deploy your own Jitsi server and then force all connections to go through TURN. That helps to shield IPs but frankly, it only makes it harder - not completely impossible - to get relevant IP addresses. However, since it will be your own environment, you’re mostly protected from outside intrusion.

Thank you Freddie… as a non-programmer and someone without a degree in computer science… is it possible to run a run a Jitsi server on my own? Or are the instructions on how to do it too complicated, so I should ask a programmer for help with setting this up?

You will need a server from a hosting/cloud provider. If they are trustable for you, you can run your own Jitsi

This is not quite accurate. Tor doesn’t support UDP at all, but WebRTC can work fine through Tor if a TURN server is used so that the media goes over TCP. Performance is usually terrible but it works OK with audio only, or with very low resolution video.

Last I checked, Tor Browser disables WebRTC support to avoid IP address leaks, but you can still use Tor itself with WebRTC through various means, again as long as TCP is used.

Clearly the OP was talking about using Tor browser, so I’m unsure where the “not quite accurate” is from. OP was having problems trying to host/join Jitsi meetings using their Tor browser; Tor browser is built without WebRTC support since it can be used to get past the browser’s proxy settings. That’s just it. All the other stuff is high falutin.

OP didn’t mention Tor Browser (note that it is a completely distinct thing from Tor).

Perhaps read it again slowly?

I mentally added the missing word there like “browser [using] Tor”, since “browser Tor” didn’t make sense. Perhaps OP could clarify.

And I do apologise if I upset you with “not quite accurate” but having statements like “Tor does not support WebRTC” out there on the Internet doesn’t help anybody.

To get back to something that is actually useful for the OP: you can use normal Firefox and configure Tor as a SOCKS proxy server (there are some Firefox addons that can automate this for you, there are a lot of resources about this if you search Google).

Then if you set the setting media.peerconnection.ice.relay_only to true in about:config, Firefox will always use TURN for WebRTC, and TURN will go through the SOCKS proxy (i.e. Tor). It’s a few steps, but it’s not too tricky.

Upset me? Not quite. I just find all these word gymnastics unnecessary.

Actually the OP made complete sense when one is not running through it with a fine toothcomb. They made clear they are not that knowledgable about this. They made clear what their goals are. Responses are provided in context to the extent that they can prove tangible use to the person asking. Pretty much anything is possible with anything if the person has the requisite skillset to make it happen. Even Tor browser CAN be made to support WebRTC by setting media.peerconnection.enabled to true and then recompiling the binaries with additional code to support it. Sure, TURN can be deployed in a self-hosted environment understanding the performance degradation that will come with that. But of what use is any of this to the OP who has made clear this is not their forte and whose simple intent is to connect to the public instance of Jitsi at meet.jit.si?

Even if you recompile you will still have to use TURN, because Tor doesn’t support UDP.

Not sure where the sudden discussion of self-hosting is coming from. There is no need to self-host. meet.jit.si supports TURN. You just need to force it on the browser side (filter out non-relay candidates, which Firefox supports using the option I provided above).

Moving on…

LOL… I think you just love hearing yourself speak.

Again, go back and read through slowly… :v:t5: