Can authenticate via anonymousdomain - intended?

Hi there,

I just installed the jitsi-meet package(s) on a Ubuntu 18.04 LTS server, following the quick install guide and the secure domain instructions.
So far so good: Conferencing works, authentication works, anonymous guests can join running conferences without authentication, a host needs to authenticate in order to start a new conference.

BUT: When I start a new conference using the anonymousdomain in the browser, I get the pop-up telling me that the host ist not there yet, asking me if I’m the host. So I can authenticate and start the meeting from the anonymousdomain.
That seems inconsitent/odd.

I wonder if that’s just how it is or if I misconfigured something. My expectation would be that I could authenticate only via the main domain (see “domain:” in /etc/jitsi/meet/bla-config.js and “authentication = internal_plain” in /etc/prosody/conf.d/bla.cfg.lua) and not via the anonymousdomain.

It seems that I don’t need to use the main domain in the browser at all: Both, authenticated hosts and guests can use the anonymousdomain.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks for any hint in advance :slight_smile:
Stefan

ii jicofo 1.0-541-1 all JItsi Meet COnference FOcus
ii jitsi-meet 2.0.4384-1 all WebRTC JavaScript video conferences
ii jitsi-meet-prosody 1.0.3969-1 all Prosody configuration for Jitsi Meet
ii jitsi-meet-web 1.0.3969-1 all WebRTC JavaScript video conferences
ii jitsi-meet-web-config 1.0.3969-1 all Configuration for web serving of Jitsi Meet
ii jitsi-videobridge2 2.1-164-gfdce823f-1 all WebRTC compatible Selective Forwarding Unit (SFU)
ii prosody 0.10.0-1build1 amd64 Lightweight Jabber/XMPP server

I don’t understand this bit. The anonymous domain is (or should be) just internal to jitsi. It doesn’t need DNS or web server configuration. Everyone should be using the same domain with secure domain enabled.

(In any case, they are only getting a prompt; they can’t log in unless they have the username and password. Which is what they’d see if you had secure domain set up “normally”.)

Hi Neil,

thanks for giving my installation a thought!
Seems that you resolved my wrong understanding :-D.
I actually thought that hosts were meant to use URL1 and guests URL2. Apparently, it’s in the “secure domain” instructions :-# :

(Note that guest.jitsi-meet.example.com is internal to jitsi, and you do not need to (and should not) create a DNS record for it, or generate an SSL/TLS certificate, or do any web server configuration.)

I’ll do a reinstall oder reconfiguration of all the components tonight (still having that steak on the grill at the moment :-9) since I want the “anonymous” URL2 to be the visible one for the users.

Thanks a bunch!!
Stefan

It is, but I only added that bit a couple of days ago, so it’s perfectly possible it was not there when you did your installation.