Call Quality and actual video resolution

Hi all,

is it possible to know (from logs? configuration files?) to which resolution (or other parameters) the various settings of the Call Quality popup correspond to?

Thank you.
-Filippo

Hi filippo82,

//    // The options can be used to override default thresholds of video thumbnail heights corresponding to
    //    // the video quality levels used in the application. At the time of this writing the allowed levels are:
    //    //     'low' - for the low quality level (180p at the time of this writing)
    //    //     'standard' - for the medium quality level (360p)
    //    //     'high' - for the high quality level (720p)
    //    // The keys should be positive numbers which represent the minimal thumbnail height for the quality level.
    //    //
    //    // With the default config value below the application will use 'low' quality until the thumbnails are
    //    // at least 360 pixels tall. If the thumbnail height reaches 720 pixels then the application will switch to
    //    // the high quality.
          minHeightForQualityLvl: {
              360: 'standard',
              720: 'high'
          },

Reading from the config files (see above) and then doing some tests:
-, LB, Audio only, 22 kbps
180p, LD, Low definition, 230 kbps
360p, SD, Standard definition, 540 kbps
720p, HD, High Definition, 1580 kbps

These are some settings which I am using:

resolution: 720,
    constraints: {
        video: {
            aspectRatio: 16 / 9,
            height: {
                 ideal: 720,
                max: 720,
                min: 180
            },
            width: {
                ideal: 1280,
                max: 1280,
                min: 320
            }
        }
    },
    disableSimulcast: false,
    enableLayerSuspension: true,
    videoQuality: {
          maxBitratesVideo: {
              low: 200000,
              standard: 500000,
              high: 1500000
          },
          minHeightForQualityLvl: {
              360: 'standard',
              720: 'high'
          },
    },
1 Like

Hi @GeorgeJitsi, thanks for your reply.

Question: when you say that you “did some tests”, you mean that you were actually able to somehow measure/detect the resolution and kbps? If yes, how did you do that?

Thanks.

Well based on the following statements:

'low' - for the low quality level (180p at the time of this writing)
'standard' - for the medium quality level (360p)
'high' - for the high quality level (720p)

And

With the default config value below the application will use ‘low’ quality until the thumbnails are at least 360 pixels tall. If the thumbnail height reaches 720 pixels then the application will switch to the high quality.

I installed cbm (colour bandwidth monitor) for linux and for Windows 10 I used Task manager to monitor the network traffic (bandwidth) used by several test participants (computers) which I set up. I started with one participant in the meeting, then two, then three, etc, keeping records for each of the settings for LB LD, SD, HD, and various combinations to find the effect of bandwidth usage in which circumstances. It took a while.

I have attached a file, if you rename it to .ods instead of .txt, hopefully it will open for you. It is my test results. I cannot guarantee it is fully accurate, but hopefully it is reasonably close.
JitsiBandwidth.txt (14.9 KB)

1 Like

Great stuff. Thanks for the clarification!