Browserwarning popup shows "[object]"

Just updated to the latest stable, and all of the sudden the warning if a browser is not in the “OPTIMAL_BROWSERS:” list looks like this:

Screenshot 2022-01-21 at 16-48-06 Jitsi Meet

Anything i can do?

Which browser?
Same result in incognito window…?

Firefox 96; i deleted it from the optimal browser section, so that firefox users at least see a warning.
Same effect in a private window.

I cannot reproduce the same issue. I have the latest stable Jitsi but Firefox 91.5…

Now it becomes really interesting. I checked it on different servers, and just out of curiosity I deleted every Browser from the “OPTIMAL_BROWSERS” list. And now every Browser returns that warning (no matter what language is set), as shown in the screenshot above.

Always Ubuntu 20 Server, Java 11

ii  jicofo                1.0-840-1           all          JItsi Meet COnference FOcus
ii  jitsi-meet            2.0.6826-1          all          WebRTC JavaScript video conferences
ii  jitsi-meet-prosody    1.0.5764-1          all          Prosody configuration for Jitsi Meet
ii  jitsi-meet-web        1.0.5764-1          all          WebRTC JavaScript video conferences
ii  jitsi-meet-web-config 1.0.5764-1          all          Configuration for web serving of Jitsi Meet
ii  jitsi-videobridge2    2.1-607-g153f7e4e-1 all          WebRTC compatible Selective Forwarding Unit (SFU)
ii  prosody               0.11.4-1            amd64        Lightweight Jabber/XMPP server

Am I really the only one,… ?

That’s strange. Can you reproduce this on meet.jit.si?

Well, I can’t edit the OPTIMAL_BROWSERS list on meet.jit.si …

Ah… this happens only when you set/clear optimal browsers.
Ok, let me check my deployment…

1 Like

Just checked in my dev environment - can’t reproduce it. Cleared all browsers from the list and tested using Chrome and Brave, no issues. I am running the unstable version though (6834-1).

:sob::sob::sob:

LOL… sorry.
Do you have any non-jitsi customizations in your environment?

Oh wait - did you try updating your interface_config.js to the latest version?

That is a good hint, and yes I do have some slight customization, but the issue doesn’t change when using the master interface_config.js
I even used one installation and typed “apt upgrade”, and let jitsi do all the work (overwriting all customizations). And of course rebooted the machine.

And you still experience the same issue?
Do you have the possibility of making doing a test installation on a bare VM? If that works for you, then you can test adding your customizations one little bit at a time till you figure out the offensive code.

I set up a fresh Ubuntu 20 Server VM, did “apt install jitsi-meet”, deleted firefox from the “OPTIMAL_BROWSERS” list, and BAMMM: Same Issue.
Things you do on a saturday night in the year 2022…

apt update -y &&
apt install apt-transport-https -y &&
apt update -y &&
curl https://download.jitsi.org/jitsi-key.gpg.key | sh -c 'gpg --dearmor > /usr/share/keyrings/jitsi-keyring.gpg' &&
echo 'deb [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/jitsi-keyring.gpg] https://download.jitsi.org stable/' |  tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/jitsi-stable.list > /dev/null &&
apt update -y &&
apt install jitsi-meet -y && 
apt-get install openjdk-11-jre-headless && update-alternatives --config java

This is strange. And you had no customizations in this fresh instance, I assume?
Did you try removing all browsers from the list and then maybe checking with Chrome?

Also, why this? The install script pulls in openjdk anyway, IIRC.

You may check here:
https://[deleted]/ (no SSL installed, so you get a warning)

interface_config.js:

OPTIMAL_BROWSERS: [ 'electron' ],

Absolutely NO customization done.

Indeed - I see it in your deployment.
But, it also crashes. So you may have issues beyond just that message.

well, no ssl installed, no DNS entry set, just a quick VM install for debugging purposes.

Can you try installing from the unstable repo instead and see if there’s any difference? Again, this seems like something in your environment is causing the problem, but let’s explore all possibilities.

May not be your only issue, but the bosh url you specified in config.js references a hostname that doesn’t resolve so clients can’t talk to prosody.