Best or minimum RAM, CPU core and disk to run Jitsi on own server

What is the best or minimum system spec (RAM, CPU cores, disk storage) for running Jitsi with 100 users live on different voice/video calls at same time? I am trying to estimate for our company’s usage if we self host Jitsi inside our company’s servers. I currently have Jitsi running in our Ubuntu VM. I am not a hardware guy, so reaching out here for help

Hi ragkrish

I’ve been hosting Jitsi for a few weeks with quite good results. We have up to 200 simultaneous users I guess. And I can share some of my findings with you:

1. I think Jitsi is a great project, and we’ve had good experiences using it, but it’s not without problems. In many places, you can read that it is extremely easy to install, and that is more or less correct, depending on your cirumstances.
  2. The documentation is probably the project’s weakest point. It’s scattered everywhere, so it is difficult to get an overview of how the different pieces fit together. But there is this forum, and people are willing to help. And the developers, especially Damian(damencho) is doing a great job.
  3. It’s VERY important to realize, that the core of Jitsi is a video/audio-bridge. This means that the Jitsi-server does not remix video and audio before sending it on to the clients. Therefore the hardware-requirements for the server are not huge in my opinion.
  4. Many of the problems we’ve experienced are on the clients using the Chrome-browser or the mobile client. Because of the way Jitsi works, they are being put under a lot of pressure, if you have a big conference. Because they have to handle many incoming video-streams. But this is a topic on itself…

I only run one server:

It’s a Ubuntu 18.04 server running as a VM on Proxmox.
16 Gb of RAM
24 cores
32 Gb of disk-space
Network-speed 1Gb/s

I’m not quite sure how many clients we’ve had simultaneously, but I’ve never seen the server use more than about 30-40 of its cpu-capacity. And seldomly more than 200Mb/s up and down.
In my opinion the CPU-requirements are important, especially that there is hardware support for
AES-NI encryption. You can read more about that here, for example

Please write back with some details:
a) Do you have a server running?
b) Are you behind NAT?
c) What hardware is at your disposal?
etc, etc

Hans Otto Lunde

3 Likes

Thanks Hans,

I have a server running on Ubuntu 18.04.
I don’t think I am behind a NAT. This server is a VM in our company’s data center maintained in-house and anybody inside the company’s network can access thee page hosted there. 8GB RAM and atleast 100GB disk.

Video calling is not mandatory for us, so assume we may have like 100 sessions running at a given point of time with voice.
Talking about CPU, does it increase exponentially based on spike in calls started and come down as calls drop, (or) does jitsi always hold a majority of CPU or RAM when its process runs on Ubuntu?

Well, if you’re not behind NAT, the clients should be able to connect using just the servers ip-address.
And there are ways to limit or disable the video-streams, see this post for example.

And I’m rather sure, that the server adjusts to the actual number of connected users, as they connect and hang up. But with no limitations in place the number of streams does increase exponentially, at least that is my understanding. Again see the post mentioned.
Have you tried running a conference?
Hans

Thanks Hans