Bad video quality

Hello,
We have set up a JITSI server for videoconferencing. However, we are unable to obtain good video quality. Could you help us.
Our server is a debian linux, 4CPU, 8Go ram.

We use jitsi via an iframe integration.

The jistsi component versions are:

jitsi-meet 2.0.6433-1
jitsi-meet-prosody 1.0.5415-1
jitsi-meet-turnserver 1.0.5415-1
jitsi-meet-web 1.0.5415-1
jitsi-meet-web-config 1.0.5415-1
jitsi-videobridge2 2.1-570-gb802be83-1

thank you in advance

Any js console errors?

Hi,
No, nothing.

I updated all jitsi packages with the latest versions available for Debian.

I just noticed that the chatroom no longer appears since the update!!! But that’s another problem

Isn’t this the version before the unified plan change?

Nope. @airod can you upload some js client logs from problem session.

Yes, it was before
Now the versions are:
jitsi-meet 2.0.6865-2
jitsi-meet-prosody 1.0.5818-1
jitsi-meet-turnserver 1.0.5818-1
jitsi-meet-web 1.0.5818-1
jitsi-meet-web-config 1.0.5818-1
jitsi-videobridge2 2.1-617-ga8b39c3f-1

The chatroom disappeared between these two versions in addition to quality problem

What does it mean, chatroom disappeared?

In the iframe, when the video is active, when I want to see the chatroom, the banner on the left appears empty

You may check the differences against default configs:

/etc/jitsi/meet/your-domain-config.js
/usr/share/jitsi-meet/interface_config.js

I don’t understand anything about it.
Despite having reinstalled and reconfigured everything, I still have video quality problems. The video cuts regularly while the server is dedicated to stream jitsi.
I didn’t change anything in particular to the configuration. We compare with the site meet.jitsi.si, and this one is stable.
FYI, I was wrong, my OVH VPS server has 8CPU and 8GB of ram under Debian 10.
I don’t have any error in my js console, in my browser.
Do you have an idea?

open the Chrome dev tools then go to the the network tab. Click on ‘WS’ (websocket). Then create a meeting. You have to have a meeting (at least 2 users) to have websockets and to see the websockets connection you have to create the meeting after opening this tab.

Do you see a connection appear with 101 under the column ‘Status’ ? and if you click on this line, do you see a new window with messages flow (several every 5-10 second) ? Lack of websockets configuration is the #1 reason for quality problems after upgrades.

If you don’t have anything take a look at this.

Hello, I have checked all the points you are telling me about. I noticed that Chrome doesn’t reload WS messages in console, while Edge is ok.
I did not see any particular problem, and my test is conclusive this evening. 2 telephones (one in 3G, and one in 4G) + 2 PC in wifi.
The only thing I’ve done (so far) is turn off the firewall.
Do you think my connection problems are related to the firewall?
Thanks for your help.

it’s not unthinkable. It would mean that your connection is using port 10000 and it is blocked, and that your system has turn configured correctly, and so turn is used successfully in this case, but however your connection has bad quality and as turn don’t work very well in this case (it uses tcp), the quality suffers.
The problem in this scenario is that you have seen problems after upgrading. There is no obvious relation of such a problem with an upgrade.
BTW you should be wary of disabling the firewall. There are ports that are often enabled and can allow uwanted entry. Try to figure out the port (if any) that you have to enable so it works best and block the rest.

Good evening,
Well, it hasn’t really progressed.
My clients compare their video site with meet.jitsi.si. They note that on their site, they have regular cuts whereas they do not have them with meet.jitsi.si.
Did I forget a few things. (8CPU ok, 8GB Ram ok, a dedicated server ok, up-to-date jitsi ok, firewall configured ok, test of WS messages during visio from chrome devtools ok)
what else?

Thanks for your ideas and help.

Do a test call with 3 participants, capture and upload your browser js console log here.
While at it, check for ReceiverVideoConstraints in the console and paste your finding here.

is that what you meant by ‘bad video quality’ ? What I understood is that you had low resolution. That’s not the same problem. Could you describe more precisely what are your problems ?

The problem is that when we launch a video conference, we don’t get a smooth image. at first it’s fine, but the video quickly degrades after a few minutes. The video cuts out for a moment before returning.
If you launch the same video on meet.jitsi.si, with the same hardware and the same connections, the quality is stable and seamless.
Thanks for your help

Well, you have already been asked for console logs. As far as I know you did not provide any.
In this case, videobridge logs (/var/log/jitsi/jvb.log) could be useful too.
Hit this upload button.

visioeu.battlebillardroyal.com.zip.log (3.1 MB)
Hello again,
Here I generated the logs on both my browser and the jvb logs.
I launched a video with three phones including two in 4G, and two computers in wifi.
I hardly had any cuts. But is it because all the videoconferencing devices are at my house?
Thanks for your help.
jvb.log (393.0 KB)

Couldn’t read this file.

But the logs won’t help much if they’re not taken when the issue you’re reporting is observed. This jvb log for instance doesn’t show any issues.

If your test setup is accurate, the location of the devices hardly matter (you connected through 4G mobile data on 2 phones, while the other devices were on your wifi).

One other thing you can do - if you experience the issue again - is try to connect to your server directly through browsers (without the iframe) and see if you experience anything differently.