Bad quality screen share

Here are a screen cap and a pcap :wink:

With Teams the quality was good, any idea what the issue might be?

http://chagai.website/bad_quality_screen_share.mkv
http://chagai.website/bad_quality_screen_share.pcapng

also tested on meet.jit.si same issue, if needed I can make a pcap and screen cap of that as well…

Hey Chagai! Are you still working on that dreaded windows machine??? :joy:

In your config.js, try setting the property “capScreenshareBitrate” to 1 in the testing block; see if that helps. So basically, something like this:

testing: {
  p2pTestMode: false,
  capScreenshareBitrate: 1
},

At Work yes, still windows… :see_no_evil: But never on my private PC! :wink:

Thanks! I’ll try that today!

does this occur when there is more than 2 people in the meet ( because when there are only 2 people in a server it defaults to peer2peer connection).

Sorry - I was supposed to post this last night. but I passed out seems like @Freddie helped you already?

it happens in both cases, I’ll check to see if this helps but I would appreciate more help as well :slight_smile:

I have the same issue. whether it’s self hosted or on meet.jit.si the behavior is the same compared to the movie shared by Chagai but with some notes:
a) in case the person shares has a larger resolution than the receiving side the issue is there. (picture is pixelated)
b) in case the person that shares reduces the window quality becomes fine.
c) issue occurs on chrome based browsers and when using jitsi desktop (which uses chrome underneath?)
d) i did my tests on meet.jit.si and locally on self-hosted jitsi server. no difference.
@Chagai : does it help in case you reduce the window you share ?
very much wondering whether you / me are having the same symptoms.

2 Likes

Hey @tob123 I didn’t look into screen size, what do you mean by reduce? make it smaller and then share only one window?

hello Chagai, i mean the application window. Chrome has the option to share a window instead of the entire screen.
on top i found that if i share a window via firefox quality also seems good.

1 Like

what do you mean by “reduces”?

the “big” window fills the entire screen (for example 1900*1200) (or your entire monitor)
the small window (reduced) fills the half of that screen.