Backgrounds

I have just upgraded to the latest jitsi-meet-web 1.0.4900-1 and noticed the new background image feature.

Since we had some client performance problems with the blurred background feature, I tried to disable it for now by removing toolbarButtons / select-background in either jitsi-meet/interface_config.js and jitsi-meet-web-config/config.js (with the latter not having any effect?).

That removed the button on the meeting, but it is still shown on the pre-join page?

Bonus-Questions:
Is it possible to replace the default backgrounds?
Where are “added” backgrounds stored?

Yes - use the plus sign to add your own background

/usr/share/jitsi-meet/images/virtual… or something like that, if I recall correctly

My question was if I could replace / add to the default ones in the /usr/share/jitsi-meet/images/virtual-background/ folder. It does not seem to be enough to just save new ones there.

Main reason being that my university has their own set of background images for everyone to use and it would help to have that set offered as default, so not everyone has to add their own version (usually of worse quality).

The images that are added with the “+” sign do not seem to be uploaded to that folder either. This would be an issue too if someone could just upload any kind of image for everyone.

To summarize:

• Bug? Disabling the background image toolbar button does not remove it from the pre-join window.
  • Feature request Allow adding to the default background images.
  • Feature request Disallow adding user background images.

That was just fixed fix(virtual-background): Check if virtual background is disabled on p… by tudor-phd · Pull Request #9044 · jitsi/jitsi-meet · GitHub

1 Like

My question was if I could replace / add to the default ones in the /usr/share/jitsi-meet/images/virtual-background/ folder. It does not seem to be enough to just save new ones there.

You have probably already discovered this, but since it could be useful for others: The location and name of the default virtual background image files is hardcoded. You can replace the background-1.jpg to background-7.jpg files in the /usr/share/jitsi-meet/images/virtual-background/ directory to use your own images. You might need to clear your cache for your custom backgrounds to show up if you have opened the virtual background dialog previously. (Tested with docker-jitsi-meet stable-6173 and the directory bind-mounted.)

• Feature request Disallow adding user background images.

This would be important for our environment as well. Is there a configuration option for it somewhere?