Automate Self-Hosting on Ubuntu

I am new to Jitsi Meet, and I am wondering if there is a way to automate the self-hosting from the quick start guide here.
I know I can add most commands to a Bash script, but I am not sure if there is something I can do about the part where the shell turns into a window that asks for the certificate and hostname/ip address after you execute the install jitsi meet command. Is there something I can configure that could disable that window and just ask for that information through command prompts or something?

If you’re starting for a fresh host with nothing else installed, you could consider the installer script provided by one of our community members:

Yes, it is possible to pre-populate the answer programmatically to allow non-interactive installs. Have a look at how the script above does it:

There are also examples of this in the handbook here: DevOps Guide (scalable setup) | Jitsi Meet

2 Likes

Great, thank you so much for the resources!

Actually, just another quick question, is it possible to use an IP Address and not a FQDN to set it up? I currently do not have a FQDN available yet, which is why I want to try using an IP Address to test everything out.

For security reasons, WebRTC will only work properly over HTTPs and you won’t be able to get a valid SSL certificate without a hostname.

Technically you might be able to a certain point using a dummy domain and access using IP, but when you do face issues during testing, it will be hard to tell if it is due to browser security restrictions or if you did something wrong.

Also the FQDN you use to set up Jitsi will also be used internally to set up prosody domains and used in various places in auto-generated configs. Changing this later is non-trivial.

Unless you’re already intimately familiar with the full setup, my suggestion would be save yourself the headache and install with a valid domain.

1 Like