Audio and video issues in Digital Ocean droplet

Good day.
We have installed jitsi on a Digital Ocean droplet (ubuntu 18.04, nginx, not Docker).

SSL is from Let’s Encrypt.
Opening page shows up fine, the system works fine except when after logging in a user in a room as a host, and start a new meeting the participants, can see themselves but appear muted to others and without video on the other screens (though they opened their camera and microphone).

The camera controls are not functioning as well. If the user starts with camera off, it stays off and cannot be turned on. Also, ufw is enabled and tcp ports 80, 443, 4443, udp 10000 are configured open. With ufw disabled, nothing changes.

It’s not browser based problem. The same thing also happens from the Jitsi app. It happens with 2, 3, 4 and more participants.
Also, screen sharing shows the menu the first time you use it but shares nothing to other participants. It doesn’t work if you use it a second time.
Some participants cannot see new ones entering the room. Raising hands and sharing texts in chat works fine.

I have no idea how to fix this, since it was working fine a few days ago. No updates or any other changes happened, except some changes in Digital Ocean that I cannot understand.

Error on chrome console is the below:

Logger.js:154 2022-04-07T01:27:16.051Z [JitsiConference.js] <ie._acceptJvbIncomingCall>: DOMException: Failed to construct ‘RTCPeerConnection’: Plan B SDP semantics is a legacy version of the Session Description Protocol that has severe compatibility issues on modern browsers and is no longer supported. See [WebRTC] Deprecate and Remove Plan B - Chrome Platform Status for more details, including the possibility of registering for a Deprecation Trial in order to extend the Plan B deprecation deadline for a limited amount of time.
at new WrappedRTCPeerConnection (:275:28)
at new A (…/libs/lib-jitsi-meet.min.js?v=4628:17:51513)
at A.createPeerConnection (…/libs/lib-jitsi-meet.min.js?v=4628:1:105503)
at w.doInitialize (…/libs/lib-jitsi-meet.min.js?v=4628:1:220536)
at w.initialize (…/libs/lib-jitsi-meet.min.js?v=4628:17:12345)
at ie._acceptJvbIncomingCall (…/libs/lib-jitsi-meet.min.js?v=4628:10:60910)
at ie.onIncomingCall (…/libs/lib-jitsi-meet.min.js?v=4628:10:60415)
at a.emit (…/libs/lib-jitsi-meet.min.js?v=4628:1:115213)
at g.onJingle (…/libs/lib-jitsi-meet.min.js?v=4628:10:208511)
at I.Handler.run (…/libs/lib-jitsi-meet.min.js?v=4628:1:26549)
at …/libs/lib-jitsi-meet.min.js?v=4628:1:34987
at Object.forEachChild (…/libs/lib-jitsi-meet.min.js?v=4628:1:18211)
at I.Connection._dataRecv (…/libs/lib-jitsi-meet.min.js?v=4628:1:34836)
at D.Bosh._onRequestStateChange (…/libs/lib-jitsi-meet.min.js?v=4628:1:54821)

Do you have any suggestion how to solve this? Is our installation too deprecated to work and needs to be re-done? Maybe it needs updates and some good fellow can point us to the right direction?

Thanks in advance for your attention.

Welcome to the forum.

You’re running an old version of Jitsi that’s still on Plan B. Chrome has moved to Unified Plan. You need to update to the latest version (or any of the previous 5 versions) of Jitsi.

Thank you! Long time reader, first time poster.

Although I do not know anything about Plans (neither B or Unified) I’ll take your advice, because you know best.
Could you kindly point me to a guide on updating versions with some customizations? It costed us an arm and a leg last year to get that version running almost like how we wanted it and our financial status is not allowing us to hire a professional this time to re-do or update it for us.

Thanks again for your last reply and for whatever the next one will be!

To be frank, there’s really no way around it - you need to update all the components, if your users connect using their own choice of browsers. You can apply for an origin trial that will allow your current deployment to continue working till next month, I think. But that’s only postponing the inevitable.

Alternatively, you can choose to use an old version of the Electron Desktop app and force all your users to use that to connect. The downside to that is you will be missing out on all the great new features and performance improvements in Jitsi.

I understand and I really can’t thank you enough for those prompt and to the point replies.
One month is enough to get things sorted out for us. What I don;t get is that, sure enough, Chrome has those issues. Do the other non-chromium browsers (Edge/Mozilla) have the same Plan restrictions? Because alt browsers and the android app alike, have the same issue.
Anyway, I don’t want to bother you much. I’d be really grateful if you can point me to an update guide and maybe a way to use the token generated in chrome for the origin trial?
Whatever the answer may be, thank you!

Edge is a Chromium-derivative, so, yes it’s subject to the same restriction. Mozilla (Firefox) does not though.

To get an origin trial, go to this site and apply for one - Origin Trials

Once you have it, you can then add it as a meta tag in your head.html:

<meta http-equiv="origin-trial" content="Origin_Trial_Token">

Again, remember this gives you till sometime in May, if I remember correctly. You will ultimately need that update.

All the best!