Architectural question regarding JVB and multi-site / federation

Hi,

I have an architectural question. Lets say I have:
users A and B in a US head office
and
users C and D in a branch office in Europe

If a conference is initiated by A (via jicofo + jvb) as I understand it all parties will want to send their media streams via a single JVB (in this example in the head office).

However, lets say the 2 locations (US and Europe) each had federated XMPP such that users initially connect to their own home. and in each location there is a JVB / jicofo.

Is it possible for users in each location to route their media channels through their local JVB and for that to somehow be connected (JVB to JVB or chained via turn servers or other proxy setup) to share the audio streams from A+B and C+D

If this is not currently possible - do you have any suggestions for ways this could be accomplished or what changes to jitsi or external tools could be used to accomplish this?

Thanks,
RD

This is currently not possible, and it works as you had described, the first to join its that local jvb that will be used.
But we are working on making bridging the bridges so everybody will be using their local jvbs and jvbs will relay media between them when needed. @Boris_Grozev can give more details if you need. But this is a huge project and changes are almost in all components, it is not a trivial job, but it resolves many scenarios like using the closest jvb and also big conferences, this will allow many participants to connect to the same conference.

Hi RD,

[rduke496] rduke496 https://community.jitsi.org/u/rduke496
July 18

Hi,

I have an architectural question. Lets say I have:
users A and B in a US head office
and
users C and D in a branch office in Europe

If a conference is initiated by A (via jicofo + jvb) as I understand it
all parties will want to send their media streams via a single JVB (in
this example in the head office).

Correct.

However, lets say the 2 locations (US and Europe) each had federated
XMPP such that users initially connect to their own home. and in each
location there is a JVB / jicofo.

Is it possible for users in each location to route their media channels
through their local JVB and for that to somehow be connected (JVB to JVB
or chained via turn servers or other proxy setup) to share the audio
streams from A+B and C+D

If this is not currently possible - do you have any suggestions for ways
this could be accomplished or what changes to jitsi or external tools
could be used to accomplish this?

We are getting very close to releasing a solution for this problem. The
system will work with one jicofo instance and multiple jitsi-videobridge
instances.

The main piece which is currently missing is a mechanism to allow
clients to know their own region.

Regards,
Boris

Thanks @damencho and @Boris_Grozev

Boris you mentioned there would be only one jicofo. does this imply it would require only one monilithic XMPP domain or will it also be possible with XMPP federation?

e.g.
US users a@us.corp.com and b@us.corp.com
European users c@eu.corp.com and d@eu.corp.com

user A initiates call and uses jicofo hosted near its home XMPP server (us.corp.com)
but what if user C initates the call? does the jicofo also have to be in only one place or could there also be a jicofo near Cs home (eu.corp.com).

I’m not stating a preference either way. just interested in the specifics.

is there any expected timeframe for this new capability to be available? if you would be interested in alpha testers then I’d be happy to get involved.

Thanks.