`apt upgrade` gives SLOW loading and HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError

I have previously been using Jitsi Meet without problem on my VPS. I had used the standard Quick Install instructions to get it going.

I ran sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade on my host this morning. I do know that the Jitsi software was updated, but I don’t know the previous versions. (It was the current version as of about 5 days ago, or so.)

Now I see two problems:

• Loading the main page is VERY SLOW - many, many seconds when normally it would take one or two seconds.

• htop shows a proliferation of these lines when a new connection comes in:
    1354 jicofo 20 0 5578M 140M 21904 S 0.7 7.1 0:00.02 java -Xmx3072m -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError -XX:HeapDumpPath=/tmp -Dnet.java.sip.communicator.SC_HOME

These lines drop away after the page (slowly) loads

I am now running:

$ dpkg -l | grep jitsi
ii  jitsi-meet                      2.0.4548-1                                  all          WebRTC JavaScript video conferences
ii  jitsi-meet-prosody              1.0.4074-1                                  all          Prosody configuration for Jitsi Meet
ii  jitsi-meet-turnserver           1.0.4074-1                                  all          Configures coturn to be used with Jitsi Meet
ii  jitsi-meet-web                  1.0.4074-1                                  all          WebRTC JavaScript video conferences
ii  jitsi-meet-web-config           1.0.4074-1                                  all          Configuration for web serving of Jitsi Meet
ii  jitsi-videobridge2              2.1-197-g38256192-1                         all          WebRTC compatible Selective Forwarding Unit (SFU)

Any ideas about how to get this working properly again? Thanks.

1 Like

Replying to my own question… It seems to working OK at the moment.

It turns out that my ISP had a problem with my connection yesterday. My normal 7mbps dropped to ~990 kbps (nearly a tenth of the normal speed), so that everything took a long time.

Maybe Jitsi timed out the connections and whined about the failures…