[Android] Screen sharing doesn't work with more than 3 participants

Good morning.

We just updated our apps with the code related to allow screen sharing in android app. It works very well when there are just two participants in the meeting, but after a third participant joins, they can’t see anymore the desktop shared by the participant with the android device (and its connection status appears to be as “lost”).

I know the issue is not related with the client’s source code because if we update the serverURL in order to target jitsi meet’s server, it works just fine. So I wonder if anyone knows if we have to update jitsi-videobridge to its latest stable version in order to make it work (we didn’t try it before writing this topic because we can’t handle the server by ourselves and we have to write a request to the infrastructure’s team explaining the issue).

Thank you for your time!

Regards

1 Like

Not really, in principle it should just work since it’s a regular video feed. Do you see anything in the android device logs?

1 Like

Same here, with my JVB server, Screen Sharing does not work for more than 2 participants but works fine with https://meet.jit.si/

@alan_tulais , you found any solution ?

1 Like

I captured this log when 3rd participant joins from Android Studio
> I/JitsiMeetSDK: [modules/xmpp/ChatRoom.js] entered 20201014348535@conference.clicktoconnect.xxxxxx.co.in/45543877 { affiliation: ‘none’,
> role: ‘participant’,
> jid: ‘2zp3wig_qkitpopc@clicktoconnect.xxxxxx.co.in/6_b_hBt8’,
> isFocus: false,
> isHiddenDomain: false,
> statsID: ‘Althea-g3M’,
> nick: ‘Sonali23’ }
> I/JitsiMeetSDK: [features/video-quality] Video quality level for thumbnail height: 186.36363220214844, is: 180, override: false, max full res N: 2
> I/JitsiMeetSDK: [modules/xmpp/JingleSessionPC.js] JingleSessionPC[p2p=false,initiator=false,sid=4sqrhh9lbbqvn] setReceiverVideoConstraint - max frame height: 180
> I/JitsiMeetSDK: [modules/RTC/BridgeChannel.js] Sending ReceiverVideoConstraint with maxFrameHeight=180px
> I/JitsiMeetSDK: [modules/xmpp/JingleSessionPC.js] JingleSessionPC[p2p=true,initiator=false,sid=77085daae8b6] setReceiverVideoConstraint - max frame height: 180
> I/JitsiMeetSDK: [modules/xmpp/JingleSessionPC.js] JingleSessionPC[p2p=true,initiator=false,sid=77085daae8b6] sending content-modify, video senders: both, max frame height: 180
> I/JitsiMeetSDK: [features/video-quality] setReceiverVideoConstraint: 180
> I/JitsiMeetSDK: [modules/RTC/BridgeChannel.js] Sending selected endpoints: d24e5061,9e6f1226,45543877.
> D/JitsiMeetSDK: [JitsiConference.js] P2P? peerCount: 2, hasBotPeer: false => false
> I/JitsiMeetSDK: [JitsiConference.js] Will stop P2P with: 20201014348535@conference.clicktoconnect.xxxxxx.co.in/9e6f1226
> I/JitsiMeetSDK: [JitsiConference.js] Resuming media transfer over the JVB connection…
> I/JitsiMeetSDK: [modules/xmpp/JingleSessionPC.js] Queued make video active, audio active task…
> I/JitsiMeetSDK: [JitsiConference.js] Removing remote P2P track: RemoteTrack[userID: 9e6f1226, type: audio, ssrc: 240296151, p2p: true, status: readyState: live, muted: false, enabled: true]
> I/JitsiMeetSDK: [JitsiConference.js] Stopping remote stats for P2P connection
> I/JitsiMeetSDK: [JitsiConference.js] Stopping CallStats for P2P connection

I guess its works only on P2P, is there any particular settings for Android Screen sharing

I disabled p2p from etc/jitsi/meet/domainname.config.js and now with 2 participants, it doesn’t work.

1 Like

If it works on with meet.jit.si this suggests a problem in your installation and not the app itself.

1 Like

I disabled p2p from etc/jitsi/meet/domainname.config.js and now with 2 participants, it doesn’t work.

Do you think we need to change something on JVB

1 Like

Your JVB is either misconfigured or broken in some way. Check the logs and config and make sure a 3 participant test works.

1 Like

To narrow down the issue, I have retested this, and seems to be working if I clone from the https://github.com/zyCwind/jitsi-meet repo

Do you think something changes required from the Android side?

Note: The same issue has been reported by other users,

1 Like

@diptendu I haven’t found the solution yet, I will share any useful information :slight_smile:

@saghul Currently it works fine if the user shares their camera, so I assume it may be a setting related to contraints that only applies if simulcast is enabled.

I’m going to compare our local configuration with the one in https://meet.jit.si. @diptendu Did you update your jvb to the lastest one?

Regards

I haven’t yet updated the JVB, I am suspecting the problem is within Android code.

1 Like

Yes, I think so! but the question is “Why does it work on jitsi meet server?”

@diptendu We also clonned zyCwind repo before and we didn’t had this issue, but it crashes after sharing desktop about 5 or 6 times. For this reason we decided to replicate changes from the official repo. At the end of the day, “react-native-webrtc” library is the one that makes it work.

I don’t know what to say, we can’t just diff > 1k lines of code, since we didn’t take it as is. Unless I can reliably reproduce it there is not much we can do to help.

1 Like

Can any one Provide [android] screen sharing commit Id please…

@alan_tulais are you able to find the root cause?

@saghul does version 3.5.0 resolve the screen sharing issue with 3+ participants? or is that still unresolved?
Appreciate your response

I have a suspicion it has to do with bandwidth, but no definite results yet.

It can’t be, I have tried running it on a server where the RTT value for all participants was under 60ms, server bandwidth was 1Gbps port, and all 3 devices were on 500mbps broadband.