Allow participants to speak while YouTube video is playing

Hello,

When a YouTube video is playing, all participants get muted and must manually unmute to talk. If there is any silence on their end, they are re-muted. Is there any way to disable this feature so that a YouTube video can be played in the “background” as it were while everyone else carries on a conversation?

I understand the purpose of this feature is most likely to prevent people who are not wearing headphones from re-transmitting the audio of the YouTube video, but it would be great if there was an option to change this behaviour on a call-by-call basis. Unless I’m missing something, I couldn’t find an option for this in Jitsi Meet and I wasn’t able to find anything about it in the GitHub issues or this forum.

Thanks for your time.

Did you ever figure this out? Looking to do the same thing – allow others to talk while watching a YouTube video with audio.

As far as I know, Jitsi project scope has gone to be a SFU (Select Forwarding Unit), that makes it awkward to mix stuff at the server level, and the consequence is that sending sound from a source excludes the sound from other sources, making it not possible to hear the video sound while someone is talking. So I don’t think it is going to happen.

Unfortunately, I didn’t figure out how to do this. From my research and from what gpatel-fr says, I don’t think it’s possible in Jitsi. At least not right now.

Theoretically it could be possible to mix sound while being a SFU only for video, at great Cpu cost, but I don’t think this is done by Jitsi. I think currently that any mixing could be done only at the workstation but somehow it don’t seem to happen.