[accessibility] Jitsi closed captions guidance needed

Hello everyone,

I volunteer in a small NGO and one of our volunteers is deaf. I am a big fan of Jitsi. Can someone please help me understand which Jitsi to install and use, so that I can turn on the closed captions feature for her? And whether that’s possible, of course.

At the moment we’re using Google Meet which I hate.

Many thanks in advance, any tip helps!

You need to install Jigasi for transcription.

Curious: What’s the issue with Google meet captions?

Hey Prashanth, thanks for your reply. Google Meet captions work fine. To clarify, I hate using a tool from Google.
Sorry I’m a bit dense, but what’s the detailed process? Should I deploy my own Jitsi instance? Install Jitsi and another package on top? Do I have to do this for all users? I’m fairly new to this.
Thanks again!

You need to install your own jitsi instance.
And then install Jigasi and configure it to use Google transcription service(which you hate:)) or choose something called vox, which jitsi supports too.

Only need to install and configure it once. Once done, every user has an option in meeting, to click on ‘CC’ button, which displays subtitles.

1. Jitsi: Self-Hosting Guide - Debian/Ubuntu server · Jitsi Meet Handbook

2. Jigasi: GitHub - jitsi/jigasi: Jigasi: a server-side application acting as a gateway to Jitsi Meet conferences. Currently allows regular SIP clients to join meetings and provides transcription capabilities.

1 Like