Aberrations during a class period

While teaching online the audio or video feed occasionally drops.

Specific examples:
While teaching I will “share screen” to display textbook pictures, some people can not see, others can.
While teaching I will “share screen” to display textbook pictures, some people can not hear me, others can hear me.
While teaching I will “share screen” to display textbook pictures, no one can see anything.
While teaching I will “share screen” to display textbook pictures, no one can see or hear anything.
Usually, when this happens I can shut down the browser and rejoin the meeting everything returns to normal. But, today, even after rebooting my computer and rejoining the class, I could not be heard or seen by the class.
An hour later in my next class they stopped being able to see me, but a reboot of the browser solved the problem and I was even able to “share screen” with very heavy video, flawlessly.

An hour later everything worked fine all class long. And so I do usually have great experiences with Jitsi Meet. My son is a professional streamer and tried to help and suspected server error, but we couldn’t see how to change servers on Jitsi Meet. Any recommendations for solving these specific issues would be greatly appreciated.

Thank-you.

This is on meet.jit.si, right? In which region are you located?
Approximate time frame of the problem?

I am located in Taipei City Taipei in Taiwan (Xinyi District)

The approximate time frame is from 14:00 - 16:00 locale time.

More precisely from 14:20 - 15:40

Thank-you, damencho

Hum, there was an issue around 6:20 UTC on one of the shards in ap-south region which is the one you use, so I suspect that is what you experienced. It lasted around 6-7 minutes and then it resolved.

Great attempt damencho “It lasted around 6-7 minutes and then it resolved.”

Unfortunately, “Usually, when this happens I can shut down the browser and rejoin the meeting everything returns to normal. But, today, even after rebooting my computer and rejoining the class, I could not be heard or seen by the class.”

From ~2:20pm until 3:00pm I could see and hear everything but no one could see or hear me.

“Sorry, new users can only put one embedded media item in a post.”
This is what I saw, see picture.

I know about a rare bug where if your devices are slow to initialize and you click too quick on the join button in pre-join screen, something like what you have described can happen. If you encounter it again, reload the page, wait for it to fully load and if you unmute your video you see yourself and then join.
We will be looking at this.

1 Like

This is useful and helpful, thank-you damencho.

As the country will remain in lock-down until at least mid-July i appreciate having some sound advice to pass along to my colleagues at school. Last year we became very safety cautious but there was no real COVID-19 problem. Now however, switching to online teaching is our only alternative and I have been a real fan of Jitsi Meet. Thanks again, hope we can get to the bottom of this soon.

I’d like to take the chance to add a big THANK YOU to the Jitsi Team; your work has maybe saved the world during the pandemic, from Schools in Taiwan to NGOs in Brazil, from municipal authorities in Europe to Unions in the US.

:heart:

5 Likes

Well, here is some more data: (Perhaps it is useful)
My computer is a MacBook Air
1.3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB

A Speed Test of my internet:
Ping 5ms
Download 71331kbps
Upload 32532kbps

The class size is generally ~15 connections or less