A few questions about pricing

Hi everyone! Can someone explain the pricing policy?

1. Do the tariff plans apply only to JAAS or does the same apply to integration via API/SDK?
  2. How is the monthly number of active users calculated? By the number of sessions or linked to accounts or rooms? Thanks!

Disclaimer: I am not associated with Jitsi or JaaS. Comments below reflect my personal understanding, and should not be assumed to be an “official” response.

MAU is calculated based on the number of unique devices connected during the month. So if you use the same browser and join a call 50 times this month, that’s just one MAU. But if you use 3 different devices (e.g. from mobile, Chrome on desktop, then maybe Firefox on same desktop), that would count as 3 MAUs.

See FAQ

Sorry, not 100% sure what you mean here. If you use browser/api/sdk to access JaaS backend using your JaaS API key, then it counts towards your JaaS MAU. If you use meet.jit.si as the backend, then it is free as long as you abide by the terms of use. If you host your own Jitsi server, then it is free, but naturally the cost of hosting the compute/network resource is on you.

Thank you so much for the comprehensive answer. And if I host the server on my resources, does the server software itself require licensing? And, if so, what are the terms and cost of the license? Thanks!

AFAIK, all the components that make up Jitsi are released under the Apache 2.0 open source license, which means you are free to use/modify/distribute for personal or commercial purposes at no cost.

It is free as in free beer :slight_smile: :beers:

1 Like

Thx! )))